One of the long standing professional strengths of educators is their willingness to share ideas and programs that are working with other teachers and principals. This professional courtesy has helped thousands of other schools and children to benefit from the original school’s hard work and success. For example, if a school is getting great results in reading the school and teachers invite people in to hear how they constructed their success or present at state and national conferences so they can give that same advantage to others.
One of the best examples in physical education has been work lead by George Velarde and his team at Sierra Vista Middle School in Canyon Country, California. Over the past several years, they have developed a model program in physical education, and they, too, are willing to share their success with other professionals. Sierra Vista has established 6 Physical Education demonstration days in order to share their outstanding work. Any school that is interested in improving their program would greatly benefit by visitingGeorge’s school on one of these demonstration days. One will definitely walk away from the visit with big ideas on how to improve your own physical education curriculum.
Dan Lawler, Ph.D.
New PE Philosophy- No Child Left OnTheir Behinds
For most of us, the old-style PE met the needs of a select few. Everyone else was often left with a lifetime of bad memories and demeaning experiences. What is the “New PE”? It means teaching fitness over sports skills in physical education classes. More importantly, it is about objective measurement over subjective grading. Today, the “New PE” classes at Sierra VistaJr. High School are about developing a healthy lifestyle and wellness. The PE staff teaches quality/daily physical education that provides students with a moderate to vigorous activity level. As part of our effort to encourage physical fitness, our Old Gym has been transformed into a State of the Art Fitness Center. Thus being ourHeart and Soul of our PE program.
State of the Art Fitness Center
- 50 piece ExerLearning Section: Dance Dance Revolution pads, Xavix Exercise program, Virtual Reality Bikes, FitnessGram Computer Lab on our Virtual Reality Bikes, and a Rock Climbing Wall.
- 53 piece Cardiovascular Education Section: water/computer rowing machines, spin bikes, ellipticals, upper body ergometers and stair steppers.
- Audio/Video Projection system with Surround sound for students to review: Benchmarks/Quizzes/Tests and Academic Vocabulary
Circuit Training Weight Room
- Body by Motion resistance machines
- Power Strength plate machines
- Endless Rope machine
- Water Rowing machines
- Ski Ergometer machine
- Due to the modeling of the “New PE”, Sierra Vista’s Physical Education program has been recognized by the President’s Council on Physical Fitness/Sports as a Demonstration Center for the Nation
- 25 Coolest Schools In America by Scholastic Parent & Child Magazine
- 2009 Golden Bell recipient by the California School Board Association of California for the “No Child Left On Their Behind” Physical Education Program
- 2009 Recipient of the Physical Education Middle School of the Year Award by the California Coaches Association
- 2008-2009 Recipient of the Carol M. White (PEP Grant)-$260,000- very prestigious award that provides funds for educational agenciesto initiate/expand and improve physical education programs
We host PE Demonstrations for educators, principals, superintendents, and community leaders from all around the countryto come and see the “New PE” curriculum in action. The demonstrations are designed to get themexcited about the possibilities on how the curriculum is implemented on a dailybasis and the variety of equipment that is used. With the use of technology, we can show theaccountability the students have for an objective grade. We want the demonstrations to inspirecreativity and rejuvenate awareness for a lifetime of physical activity.
Here are dates forour PE Demonstrations for the 2012-2013 school year.
Oct. 26, Nov. 16, Dec.7, Feb. 22, March 15, April 19, May 3
Times for all PEDemonstrations are from 10:00-1:00.
Overthe last 8 years, our Fitness Scores have improved in every category of theState Fitness Scores. But moreimportantly, our Fitness Scores are higher than the State and National Averagefor Jr. High Schools.
Improvement from’03-’04 to ’09-‘10
Aerobic(1 mile run): 18.2%
BodyComposition: 2.5 %
AbdominalStrength: 8.9 %
TrunkExtension Strength: 2.7 %
UpperBody Strength: 13.4 %
#of Fitness Standards achieved by students: 22 %
(6of 6 Standards achieved)
Schools Academic(API) Results
OurPhysical Education program has not only demonstrated improved Fitness Scores, but our Schools Academic Scores (API) have also increased every year since thePE Dept. changed their philosophy from the “Old PE” to the “New PE”.
‘03-‘04Schools Academic Performance Index ’10-‘11 Schools Academic
APIscore: 746 API score: 809
Animprovement of 63 points over an 8 year span